Sunday, September 17, 2023

Madison (Mellor) Stambaugh



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s. 

I obtained my bachelor's degree in 2017 and dual majored in Early Childhood PK-4 and Special Education K-8. I then went on to pursue my Special Education 7-12 certification shortly after graduation because I fell in love with the Special Ed. field. For six years now, since the start of the 2017-2018 school year, I have been a 6th-8th grade Supplemental Emotional Support teacher at East Pennsboro Area School District located just outside Harrisburg, PA. I was also fortunate enough to be trained to own and be a handler of our middle school's therapy dog, Murphy. My job has had many highs and lows but has given me so much reward in being able to support my students emotionally and behaviorally through their entire middle school career. I then went on to obtain my master's degree in Special Education and graduated again in December 2021.
2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
A personal SRU experience that I was grateful to have had was cheerleading. I was on Slippery Rock All Girl from 2012-2014 where we placed 3rd overall at 2014 UCA College Nationals at Disney World. I am so happy that I was involved in athletics and I made amazing, lifelong friends.
3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
Dr. Lynch, who was my advisor and professor, impacted me very positively. There were times I struggled academically, and through the times that I wanted to give up, he always encouraged me to keep going and helped me find alternatives.
4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
I have always been drawn to children. Some have said I'm a "helper" or a "fixer" which makes sense as to how I ended up in my current job. Feeling like you made some sort of positive impact on a child has so much reward for me, and even more so when I build a caring and trusting relationship with them. 
5. What do you love most about teaching?
Seeing kids grow and mature, and most importantly overcome their personal struggles in the school setting in order to succeed. I also love the bond I get to share with my students. My caseload is small, and fortunately, that makes my job much more personal for me and them.
6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is kind, understanding, and does what's best for kids. Teachers do not come "one-size-fits-all" and shouldn't be expected to do things all the same way. Teaching is what you make of it, so make it great enough for your students to thank you one day.


No comments:

Post a Comment