Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Stephanie Magnotto


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from SRU in December 2011 with a double major in elementary education (K-6) and secondary education (7-12) as well as a minor in exceptionalities. My secondary education focus was in history and social studies. I was hired by Slippery Rock Area School District as a 5th grade teacher in August of 2012. Since then, I have obtained my Masters in Grades K-8 Math & Science and certifications for mid-level math and ELA. After my first year of teaching, I moved to the middle school and have been there since! Currently, I teach multiple levels of 6th and 7th grade math.

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget my early field experiences. They were the first times that I experienced a classroom from the perspective of a teacher. I worked with my classmates to produce meaningful and interactive learning opportunities. We taught science lessons on pill bugs, created hands-on math lessons and tutored students that needed extra help. It was the first time that I was challenged to see beyond a lesson plan and adapt to the needs of the students. I will forever be grateful for those short amounts of time that I had during field. They allowed me to grow, fail and grow some more as a teacher.

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

There were many members of the SRU faculty that had a positive impact on my experience. Dr. Marilyn Yensick was my advisor and truly changed my outlook on teaching. She encouraged me to create a path that was unique to me, supported my goals and worked hard to give me the best education possible. I have no doubt that her techniques are visible within my classroom. If it weren't for her guidance, I do not think that I would be the teacher I am today. 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I come from a family of educators and, as a result, grew up surrounded by so many influential teachers. I have always loved going to school and learning. I knew from a young age that I would be a teacher someday. My mom is the most impactful person in my life. Going to her classroom as a young girl fueled my dreams of someday having my own. When it came time to plan my future, SRU was my only choice. I knew it was the best place to become the best teacher!

5. What do you love most about teaching?

There are a lot of things that I like about teaching, but the thing I love the most is the "back to school" feeling that comes to me every August. It is the anticipation of getting new class lists and working hard to prepare a productive learning environment. I love setting the scene for the year and meeting the strangers that will turn into my forever students. I eagerly wait for the challenge to create hard workers that support one another and always do their best to be their best. All of that happens in August. We are all a bit nervous, but we all have a common goal of success, and I absolutely love the challenge of meeting it every year.

6. What makes a great teacher? 

A great teacher is a teacher that is able to be exactly what a student needs, when the student needs it. Sometimes that's a role model, sometimes it's just a listener. A good teacher can deliver a flawless lesson, but a great teacher can deliver the lesson AND leave a positive, life-long impression on their students. It's a daunting task to be a great teacher, but it's a task worth trying everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment