Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Hailey Tammaro Hughes

 


1.What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include current school district and grade/s.

I attended Westminster College & obtained my bachelor's of science in biology. Then, I attended SRU to earn my master's in secondary education. I am certified in biology and general science. I did my student teaching at Shenango High School. I was a long-term substitute at Lincoln High School for the second semester of the 2020-2021 school year. This past school year I taught 9th-grade science, 10th-grade biology, and 11th & 12th-grade forensics science at New Castle High School. Next year I will assume the position of biology and AP biology teacher at Union High School. 
2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

The experience that I will never forget from my time at SRU was my only in-person class, SEFE 376. I was just starting to dip my toes into the world of education when I started studying for my master's degree, and I learned SO much about the field in that class. I felt like a sponge soaking it all in! My classmates and I often had fruitful discussions about the world of education that helped shape the teacher I am today. I also made lifelong friends in that class! 
3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Hogue was my professor for SEFE 376, and I learned SO much from him. He posed thought-provoking discussion questions and gave us assignments that would be useful to us in our professional careers. I still use my pull lessons from my idea file! His experience as a teacher, principal, and professor allowed him to not only teach the material but also interview skills, teacher certification tips, and classroom management.
4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

It wasn't until I started teaching horseback riding lessons (a lifelong passion of mine) as a job in college that I realized my love for teaching. I thought, "I love teaching kids about my love for horses, why not teach about my love for science?" I took a couple of education classes during my senior year at Westminster and fell in love with the profession! 
5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love having the opportunity to impact the lives of my students. I have the honor of being a role model for them in their lives and potentially influencing some of them to pursue science. Even just making someone smile or giving them a cool memory from biology class that they can look back on is such a privilege. I remember how influential my teachers were during my time in high school, and the fact that I can be the same for some of my students is my favorite thing about teaching. 
6. What makes a great teacher?

In my opinion, what makes a great teacher is the ability to be compassionate. You must be able to meet your students where they're at in life and hold them to high standards while also realizing they might have a hard life outside of school. There has to be some grace given. When the student realizes you're on their side and you understand their struggles, interests, and strengths, they will be more likely to want to do well in your class and learn what you are teaching them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment