Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Sarah Mickinak

 


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from Slippery Rock University in 2018 with a dual degree in Early Childhood Prek-4 and Special Education Prek-8. I am currently a master’s student at SRU in the Special Education program with an emphasis on Autism. I was a kindergarten teacher in Virginia for two years. I was the kindergarten team lead teacher as well.


2. What attracted you to Slippery Rock University, and in particular, the education department?

I always knew I wanted to go to SRU. I was automatically attracted to Slippery Rock because of their reputation of being a "teaching school."


3. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding aspect of being a teacher is seeing the growth that students make each day. In my first year of teaching, I had 13 students who spoke Spanish as their first language. With hard work and dedication, I got all 24 of my students on grade level for reading and math.


4. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Lynch has had a positive influence on my educational career. He was my advisor all four years at SRU and is now one of my professors in my master’s program. He is an advocate for students with disabilities and continues to support me throughout my professional career. 


5. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is one who builds relationships with each and every student. A quote that has always stuck with me since my time at SRU is "Children don't learn from people they don't like." I work towards establishing a positive classroom community and building relationships from day one with my students.


No comments:

Post a Comment