Monday, July 20, 2020

Melanie Hughes



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
Bachelor of Science in Education (SRU): Early Childhood, Elementary and Special Education
Early Childhood Special Education Endorsement (Lynchburg)
Master of Education with an Emphasis in Autism (SRU)
Master of Science in Curriculum and Instruction (WGU)
AASEP Board Certification in Special Education (NASET)

I am in my 9th year as an Early Childhood Special Education Teacher at Rising Star Early Childhood Education Center in Stafford County, Virginia.  I taught my first 6 years as a Primary Support Teacher and 3 years and currently teach in Self-Contained Autism Program.

2. What do you love most about teaching?
I love working with the 3-5 year olds because they change and grow so much over the year or two that I get to be their teacher. Our program works so closely with not only the students, but the families, and I enjoy working with them! This is also my students first school experience so I love being able to help mold the start of their schooling into a positive experience.

3. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.
I have many fond memories of SRU, and I have made many life long friends and met my boyfriend while at the Rock.  One memory I have specifically pertaining to my field, was volunteering for the Exceptional Adventures Halloween Dance. It was so fun volunteering with adults with special needs and working with a group of individuals different than the elementary school students I was used to working with!

4. What initially peaked your interest in pursuing a degree in education?
When I was younger, my mom would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up and ever since the age of 3 I consistently said I wanted to be a teacher.  I loved babysitting, working as a camp counselor and volunteering for the Special Olympics.  I specifically chose SRU for the education program!

5. What makes a great teacher?
Teachers wear many hats, but a great teacher leaves positive impacts on their students, help students reach their goals and are passionate about what they do.  They focus on building positive relationships with each student, meet every student at their level and set high but obtainable goals for every student.

No comments:

Post a Comment