Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Lexie Nieri


1. What school district and grade/s do you currently teach?
I teach students, ages 3-21 at the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children and coach field hockey and track at North Allegheny Senior High School.  

2. What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
One of my favorite teaching moments is providing a student with their first experience in a pool.  Each student reacts differently to their first swim, whether it is trepidation, skepticism, or enthusiasm.  As the students get to know me, the pool, and learn about water safety, I see their fears ease away.  Many of my preschoolers finish the school year by blowing bubbles, climbing out of the pool on their own, jumping into the water and righting themselves, and some even begin to swim under water.

3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program at SRU?
Try everything and volunteer as much as you can without burning yourself out.  You will meet more people and discover new interests that will influence your professional career.  

4. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
Thanks to Mr. Ogoreuc for convincing me to add the aquatics minor freshman year.  I did not realize how pivotal the minor would be on my career as a college student and a professional.  I benefited from the extensive, semester-long lifeguarding class by getting a competitive and well-paid waterfront lifeguarding position each summer.  I was able to assist my supervisors further by training and certifying my coworkers through the Lifeguarding Instructor certification.  The Water Safety Instructor certification has been crucial to my teaching career as it has been either a strong preference or requirement for employment.  My first physical education job involved teaching a few swim classes which led to becoming one of the swim coaches that season.  Unaware at the time, these experiences along with the adapted aquatics and management courses prepared me for my position today as the Adapted Aquatics Instructor for the physical education program at my school.

A huge thank you to Mrs. Fagan for her positive influence on me in grad school.  My year was engulfed in Envision Blind Sports, Blind Hockey and a passion for individuals with blindness and visual impairment.  I was hooked from the beginning and look forward to continue working with the great programs she has created.


5. What makes a great teacher?
I believe empathy is the keystone between great teachers and their students.  Great teachers are those who are able to create a safe and engaging learning environment while understanding and working with the diverse needs of the individual students in an ever-changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment