Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Paige Cassella


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I began studying at Slippery Rock University in August of 2014. I majored in Spanish Education (K-12 certification). I also studied abroad in Madrid, Spain at the University of Alcalá de Henares, Franklin Institute during the summer of 2016. I graduated from SRU last May of 2018. Shortly after graduation, Aliquippa School District hired me as their full time Spanish teacher. I currently teach Spanish I, II and III which consists of students in grades 9-12. I love it so much and feel very fortunate to have found a job in Pennsylvania right after graduation!
2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is knowing that I am providing my students with a skill that is such an asset, especially in the world today. Being bilingual is a skill that has opened numerous doors for me, and I would love for my students to have those same opportunities. Aside from the content I teach being rewarding, being a teacher is even more so emotionally rewarding. Working in an inner-city school can definitely be a challenge, but I feel it is what I was called to do. Classroom management is usually at the forefront of my responsibilities, which can be frustrating because I am so passionate about my content. However, it is necessary for student success and it has made me a better educator. My school district is working towards becoming a trauma-informed school. To be able to help and teach adolescents who unfortunately face many traumatic things at home is an inexplicable feeling. Supporting students who are stacked against society’s odds is a responsibility that I do not take lightly.
3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
My best advice to any SRU student would be to study abroad. SRU has so many incredible programs! I was fortunate enough to not only study in Spain, but to go on a trip to Costa Rica with the College of Education as well as a trip to the Dominican Republic. These experiences enabled me to see the world from a different perspective and ultimately become not only a better educator, but a better person. To students in the teacher preparation program, enjoy every minute of it! It’s easy to get overwhelmed, but everything that you are working for will be worth it in the end. Being an educator is not an easy job. It is hard to teach children and adolescents when you are still learning and growing yourself. Just breathe and take everything day by day. Another really important thing is to build good relationships with your professors and cooperating teachers. They will give you the feedback you need to hear and the support that you deserve. Finally, always act professionally during field experiences and student teaching experiences. Be kind and courteous to everyone from the custodians to the principal. Leave a lasting impression with everyone you meet!
4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
I never had Dr. Lynch for a class, but he led my trip to Costa Rica and I got to teach in the Dominican with him. He’s such a great guy. One thing he always said that really resonated with me was, “Get comfortable being uncomfortable.” He taught me that sometimes you have to be willing to takes chances and put yourself in uncomfortable situations in order to grow. Other professors who positively impacted me and inspired me during my time at SRU are Dr. Hicks, Dr. Christmann, Dr. Dieter, Dr. Cortijo and Dr. Alessi.
5. What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is a genuine teacher. Students know the difference between a teacher who just goes through the motions and a teacher who shows up every single day ready to impact lives. A great teacher demands excellence and does not accept mediocrity. A great teacher sees situations from an empathetic viewpoint; they realize that students endure many things outside of school that may impact their performance and behavior within the classroom. A great teacher is able to adapt and modify instruction for diverse learners. A great teacher is more than just an educator; they are a role model and advocate for their students.

No comments:

Post a Comment