Friday, March 22, 2019

Dylan Vamosi




1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I graduated with my B.S. Ed in Secondary Education - Social Studies at SRU in 2016 and immediately moved on to my M. Ed in Social Studies. I earned my M. Ed. while working as a graduate assistant in the Dean's Office and a substitute teacher at Slippery Rock Area School District. From there, I was hired as an 8th grade Civics teacher by Princess Anne Middle School at Virginia Beach City Public Schools in Virginia Beach, Virginia. 

2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is telling my students' parents how awesome their kids are. It really makes parents proud to hear about their child's accomplishments in my class, and it builds a level of respect between myself and my students. The learning process works so much better when a level of respect exists between teacher and students -- and even more so when it becomes a community with the parents. 

3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
Keep your personality in the classroom. Teachers are pulled in a million directions about how to teach and what to teach. Teachers get so caught up in being a professional that it can be easy to lose a bit of your individualism trying to fulfill your responsibilities. If you normally get visibly excited when you talk about your subject of expertise, bring that excitement into the classroom. If you have other passions like music, your family, dogs, mention all of them in the classroom. Kids enjoy knowing about your life, and that is a good reason to combine your individualism and profession. 

4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why. 
Dr. Hilton is the greatest of all-time. He addresses methodology well, but he also ensures that teachers also have a great understanding of classroom management and what really works for students. There is no fluff to his classroom, and he guarantees himself as a a lifelong resource for all of his students. For this reason, students should take him whenever possible. 

I also have to give shout-outs to Dr. Amodei for being an awesome faculty leader for our Italy trip, Dr. Christmann for helping me throughout my graduate program, and Dr. Hicks for being a great undergraduate advisor. SRU has an awesome education faculty. 
 
The history/anthropology departments were also amazing. Dr. Cowan and Aksel Casson taught me educational skills and knowledge from other disciplines which are now indispensable in my teaching philosophy and approach.   

5. What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is constantly advocating for students. I have great teachers around me who go beyond their means to vouch for and help students. This means highlighting accomplishments, noticing the small developments students go through, and leading by example in the classroom. There is no limit on the amount of guidance that teachers can provide for their students -- and great teachers are at the forefront of that development.

No comments:

Post a Comment