Friday, March 1, 2019

Alaina Smith



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
 
I am a 2016 and 2018 graduate of Slippery Rock University with a Bachelor's Degree in 7-12th grade Social Studies and a Master's Degree in 7-12th Special Education.  I student taught at West Allegheny School District in Imperial, Pennsylvania. Upon graduation, I was employed at West Allegheny as a substitute teacher for 2 years.  In addition, I was the color guard instructor for the West Allegheny Marching Pride for 3 years.  I currently teach Special Education at The Summit Academy in Herman, Pennsylvania.  The Summit Academy is an all male school for adjudicated youth from various states ranging from 13-20 years of age.  
 
2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
 
The most rewarding aspect of my job is to see the impact that I have made in many of my students' lives.  I teach students that are on many different instructional levels.  It is rewarding to see the personal growth that my students have made when they progress through each grade level. 

3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?

The best advice I would give to a new teacher or a recent graduate would be to network as much as possible with many people, regardless of their professional backgrounds.  Make it a priority to attend professional and social events.  Slippery Rock holds events such as Backpacks to Briefcases and the Senior Transition Conference for college seniors who are graduating.  Utilize the Office of Career Development and Education.  They provide free services to students that assist with resumes and interviewing techniques.  Don't ever stop learning and growing professionally. 

 
4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
 
Working in the Office of Alumni Engagement was one of my best experiences during my time at Slippery Rock University.  While I was working in the Alumni Office, I met numerous alumni that shared their experiences with me about their lives and careers. I have been involved in the planning and organization of many events that positively changed my experience at Slippery Rock.  The Alumni Director, Kelly Bailey, was a positive influence on me because she taught me how to be a successful planner, sharpened my communication skills, and engage with others in a professional setting.  She demonstrated to me the importance of the bond between alumni and the current students attending Slippery Rock University.   
 
5. What makes a great teacher?
 

A great teacher is someone who devotes their time, effort, and energy to ensure that their students are successful.  A great teacher is a person who is a counselor, a confidant, and a mentor before teaching can take place.  The best teachers are the ones who can captivate their students and can make the information relatable to life outside the classroom. 


No comments:

Post a Comment