Monday, April 9, 2018

Kailey Denoi

 

What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I received my Bachelor's degree in education from Slippery Rock University. I am certified in general education Pre-K to fourth grade and special education Pre-K to eighth grade. I started off my career with a position as a paraprofessional in an Autistic Support classroom for one year. I am now working for Sharpsville Area School District as their full time K-5 Autistic Support teacher!

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is watching my students grow and learn every day. Hearing a student’s first words, watching them learn how to greet others, hearing them call your name for the first time are just a few of the reasons why I love my job. Being a special education teacher allows me to appreciate the smallest things in life!

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
I would tell students to experience as much as possible. Do things that you never thought you would! Get involved in clubs, trips, and activities on campus. You might happen to find something along the way that you really love. Most importantly, focus on your studies! You will appreciate it when you start your career! Savor your time at SRU! Four years goes by very quickly!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
The entire special education department had a positive influence on me during my time at SRU! I knew from the moment I heard Dr. Katsafanas talk about her experiences in special education, that I wanted to be a special education teacher. The staff at SRU inspired me and gave me the information that I needed to be a successful special education teacher.

What makes a great teacher?
Someone who is willing to go great lengths for children of all kinds, even if it is for the smallest positive outcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment