Monday, April 23, 2018

Jody Duff

 
 
What is your educational background from SRU and what positions have you held?
I graduated from SRU in 2006 with a Bachelor's degree in Health and Physical Education and a certification in Middle School Mathematics. I spent the first six years of my career teaching in Prince George’s County Maryland as an Adapted Physical educator and an Adapted Aquatics teacher. I then taught for three years as an APE teacher in Harford County, Maryland and am now in my third year in Howard County, Maryland. I have taught both in the inclusive setting, separate setting, and provided both direct and indirect services to students.

I have also held numerous volunteer board positions including Vice President and President of recreation for MAHPERD (Maryland Association of health and physical education, recreation and dance). As well as the Adapted Physical Education chair and a member at large of this organization.

I have been both the presidential advisor as well as the Vice President of MAPEC (the Maryland Adapted Physical Education Consortium).

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is seeing the success of each of my students. I love being able to show everyone the true capabilities of my students. There are no limitations in my gymnasium and I believe I prove that every day.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
Don’t give up. I tried a couple of times and the best thing that happened to me was having people tell me "no" and not let me stop. Education is hard. Teaching is exhausting. Burnout is real. Focus on the positives. Focus on the ‘happy’ in your classroom. That’s what matters and if you focus on that, you will make it through one day at a time. And you will be thankful you did!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
When I was student teaching, I had a very difficult time. I was ready to quit. I even went so far as asking my department to give me my degree without my license to teach if I didn’t finish out student teaching. The entire physical education department got behind me and wouldn’t give up on me. They created an alternate plan for me to take the time I needed but still finish my student teaching and graduate. I learned that all students need this same opportunity. To have people believe in them and understand that to reach the desired outcome, it may require a slightly alternate path. This is a belief I hold onto every day in my class when I work with my students. My students are exceptional and can achieve anything, they just need us to believe in them and help them reach their goal, no matter what it takes to get there. Slippery Rock helped me learn this. I owe so much to SRU and the amazing staff there. They got me through and without them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

What makes a great teacher?
Resilience. Being a teacher is hard work. Amazing work, but hard. It takes grit, flexibility, stamina, and faith. It takes patience, perseverance, and a positive attitude. Great teachers motivate, engage, inspire, and create. Great teachers are heroes.

1 comment: