Monday, October 23, 2017

Megan Jackson



What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I attended Slippery Rock University and dual majored in Early Child Education and Special Education. I graduated Summa Cum Laude in May of 2017 with a B.S. in Education. I hold teaching certificates for Pennsylvania (Early Childhood PreK-4 and Special Education K-8) and Maryland (Elementary PreK-3 and Special Education Infant-3). After graduation, I started substitute teaching in Butler Area School District in PA. In September, I moved to Maryland and started teaching at Folger McKinsey Elementary School in Anne Arundel County. I teach Resource Special Education (learning support) for grades 1 and 3.

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding part of my job is building relationships with the staff and students. The staff at my school works as a team and provides support for each other in all that we do. As a first year teacher, it’s really comforting to be in such a great school!

I also have the pleasure of working with two different grades in three classrooms throughout the day, in addition to times that I pull out a group of students. It’s awesome getting to know each student on an individual basis and seeing their growth throughout the year already. The best moments are when students have been struggling and working hard on a certain assignment or task and they finally get it; they are so proud and excited to show teachers their accomplishments. I love that we are continuously helping students grow in their academics, as well as people in our society. There is no other profession I’d rather be in!


What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
SRU is one of the best schools to go to for an education degree. The program, professors and enrichment opportunities are phenomenal and I truly learned so much. With that being said, I would tell students currently in the program to take advantage of as many of those opportunities as they can. I was able to travel abroad to Sweden and Italy with students and professors from the Education department and learn about education in different countries. There are also many clubs and activities, such as National Science Teachers Association and Early Childhood Club that provide great ways to work with students. As an education student at SRU, I wanted to be in the classroom as much as possible. Through clubs, studying abroad, field, and student teaching experiences, I felt truly prepared to become a teacher. Although it may seem overwhelming at times, don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, ask questions, and get experience!

Not only is it important to gain educational experience through clubs, but it is also important to join other clubs to become a well-rounded person. My favorite club at SRU was being a part of the University Program Board. I was a member my sophomore and senior year and served as the Director of Community Service during my junior year. The opportunities for growth, leadership and friendship were endless and I would highly recommend anyone to join!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
All of the professors I had in the education department were of high quality. There is a take-away from each class, whether it be a piece of advice or information that I remember from each class and professor. However, there are two professors that were my go-to whenever I had questions.

Dr. Snyder was my FYRST Seminar and Science Methods professor and also the advisor for NSTA. The experiences and expertise that he shared with his students over my years at SRU were unparalleled. I always felt comfortable going to his office to ask questions or get guidance.

I did a tutoring program with Dr. Lynch during my freshman year, and then he was my professor for Positive Behavior Strategies during my junior year. He had an unforgettable way of conveying information, and I use his strategies and advice in my teaching every day. He was also a great support in directing my educational career, saying that my time at SRU could be "whatever I wanted it to be."


What makes a great teacher?
There are many things that shape a great teacher, but the number one quality is passion. Those who have a true passion for teaching and working with kids make the greatest differences in children’s lives. I knew from a young age that I wanted to work with kids when I “grew up”, but it wasn’t until I helped teach a preschool class during my senior year of high school that I knew I was destined to become a teacher. That natural instinct, coupled with immense patience, creativity, and flexibility make for a great teacher. One of my favorite quotes is, “Teachers who love teaching, teach children to love learning” and I think that speaks significantly for teaching as a profession.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! I am glad you are able to do something you are so passionate for and that you are truly so great at what you do! I hope you continue to grow as a person/teacher and can make a difference in childrens lives along the way!

    ReplyDelete