Monday, October 2, 2017

Joe Lamenza

Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I currently teach at Blackhawk High School in Beaver Falls, PA. I teach College Prep English 10, English 12, and English 9. I am also the head varsity football coach.
Prior to Blackhawk, I worked for eight years in the Beaver Area School District in Beaver, PA. During my tenure at Beaver, I taught high school English for two years and 4th grade for three years. I was the dean of students at Dutch Ridge Elementary School (Grades 3-6) for my last three years at Beaver.
What have you done particularly well in your position?
If I've done anything particularly well, it would be my focus on reflection, continual improvement, and lifelong learning. I have applied that philosophy to all of the positions that I've held. Additionally, I think I've been able to connect with most of my students/players over the years. The ability to connect is vitally important when it comes to teaching, learning, and motivation.
What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Work hard and be prepared.
What SRU experience or faculty positively influenced you, and in what way?
Looking back, when I first entered the College of Education, I was immature and lazy. I had no idea what I was getting into. I struggled a lot. The faculty pushed me hard. I had some rough days when I felt like quitting, but my advisor, Dr. Thomas Gordon, stuck by me through the entire experience.
There were a few other faculty members who influenced me in a positive way and helped to get me on the right path...
Dr. Thomas Kandl, who taught Methods of Teaching Math. His philosophy when it came to unit planning and assessment really resonated with me.
I was enamored with Dr. John Badgett. I found his class to be challenging, but I was fascinated by the subject matter. To this day, assessment remains a passion of mine and that no doubt started with his class.
Dr. Rose Heilman-Houser's passion for children's literature was contagious. She was so positive and encouraging. She inspired confidence in me at a time when I really needed it.
What makes a great teacher?
Hard work. Preparation. Passion. Passion for teaching, how students learn, and the art of teaching makes a great teacher. You're not going to get rich teaching. The rewards are intrinsic. You have to love what you're doing and you have to love being around your students. Students know when a teacher truly cares about them. Students can't see your intentions; they only see your behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment