Thursday, September 7, 2017

Ryan Sutton

 
What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I graduated from the University of Pittsburgh with a B.S. in History and Japanese, and got my M.Ed. in Social Studies from SRU. During my time at SRU, I was given the opportunity to work with the History department as a Graduate Assistant with the Old Stone House Center for Public Humanities. After graduating, I worked for one year at Rocky Mount Prep., a charter school in North Carolina, where I taught 8th grade Social Studies. I currently work at Hillel Academy of Pittsburgh, where I teach grades 7-12 social studies.

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
When students think about what they've learned in my class outside of school. For example, one day a student told me that my class changed the way he views and plays Assassin's Creed (a video game based on historical events). Small instances like that really make my day.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
To students in the teacher preparation program: when you are preparing for student teaching, reach out to your mentor teacher as soon as possible prior to the first day of class. I had an amazing experience student teaching, thanks to my great mentor who trusted me to almost completely take over the classroom from day one. This would not have happened if I didn't reach out to her ahead of time.
 
To students at SRU in general: Always be open and looking for opportunities to stand out and work with professors outside of class. My time as Graduate Assistant at The Old Stone House was one of the most transformative things I did at SRU, and I found it entirely by chance.
 
Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why. 
Dr. Hilton and Dr. Hicks have a lot to do with how I teach today. My lesson planning process, as well as the way I reflect on my successes and failures as a teacher are taken directly from their classes.
 
What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is flexible, quick to improvise, and constantly evaluating their own performance. They have thick skin and a strong enough ego to withstand failure from both themselves and their students. They are charismatic, enjoy laughing at themselves, and work well as a team. Most importantly, a great teacher is someone who loves their subject so much that they cannot keep it to themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment