Monday, September 11, 2017

Melanie Hughes

 

 
Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I am in my 7th year of teaching at Stafford County Public Schools. Previously, I was the Early Childhood Special Education Resource Teacher at Head Start where I worked with 4 year-olds. This upcoming 2017-18 school year, I will be teaching in a Self-Contained Autism Preschool Classroom. I will be working with 3 and 4 year-olds!

What have you done particularly well in your position?
I have had to learn to balance several different roles over the past few years. I have had to be incredibly organized as I have worked with students with IEPs, 504 plans, and behavior intervention plans. I have helped mentor several new teachers as our special education program in preschool has expanded tremendously over the years. I have worked hard to manage my time and help teachers and students have a successful school year.

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Take it seriously. Spend as much time in the classroom as you can and ask teachers important questions. Enjoy every minute of it!

What SRU experience or faculty positively influenced you, and in what way?
Slippery Rock has been a wonderful experience for me! I graduated in December 2011 with my Bachelor's Degree in early childhood, elementary and special education, and then a Master's Degree in special education with an emphasis of Autism in December 2014. I am currently in the process of applying for the doctoral program in special education! The faculty is amazing and I still keep in contact with many of my past professors. I absolutely love everything about my education and experience at Slippery Rock University and if I could do it all over again, I would!

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher individualizes, understands, and cares. They are willing to make accommodations and modifications for their students. They spend time getting to know their students and not just teaching the lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment