Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Mark Deitrick




What is your current position?
Professor of Education, Psychology, and Social Work
Education, Humanities, and Social Sciences Coordinator
School of Business, Arts, Sciences, and Technology
Community College of Beaver County

What advice do you have for students currently in the teaching preparation program?
Be flexible and willing to adapt. The landscape of education has changed and it will continue to change as your career progresses. Be open to new opportunities, even if they seem out of your comfort zone. Seek out a mentor. Your faculty advisor should be equipped to be your mentor. Pursue dual certification. Not only does it make you more marketable, but it also makes you more sensitive to varying student needs.

Also, become active within your community. Find a cause and volunteer. Attend School Board meetings to get a real sense of what's happening within your home School District.

What is one positive, unforgettable experience that you have had?
Pursuing and completing my Ph.D. program, without any extensions! It was rigorous and challenging, but it was such an unforgettable experience.

As further acknowledgement of my accomplishment, I was selected by our college president to serve as the Commencement Grand Marshal at the Commencement Exercise at Community College of Beaver County. The date of the commencement ceremony coincidentally fell on my birthday that year, which was a great birthday present.

What makes a great teacher?

Embracing the perspective that you are and will always be a student, as you learn the art of teaching. I always tell my students that we are all works in progress.

Anything else that you would like to share?
I am a National Certified Counselor and a Licensed Professional Counselor in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. I maintain a small private practice.

I am a School Director in the Beaver (PA) Area School District. I serve as Vice President of the Board, as well as Chairman of the Curriculum Committee. I also serve on the Finance Committee and Athletic Committee of the Board.

No comments:

Post a Comment