Thursday, February 25, 2016

Jessie Smith



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated from Slippery Rock in 2013 with a BA in History and again in 2014 with an M.Ed in Secondary Social Studies Education.

What jobs have you landed?
I accepted a position teaching 7th US History at Northampton County on the Eastern Shore of Virginia.

How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed? 
I tirelessly prepared by practicing interview questions, for example there are some very good ones on the Career Services website under the Education tab! I also spoke with friends who were also going through the interview process to discuss what questions employers were asking.


What have you done well at that job?
Slippery Rock has prepared me very well for this role. Though I am a new teacher I excel at writing lesson plans, instructional practices, differentiation, etc. and have already been approached to take on more responsibilities for the school and community.


What types of recognition, awards, honors or even activities have you been involved in? 

At SRU, I was a member of the Phi Alpha Theta Historical Honor society, and served as Vice President for a term. It was with Phi Alpha Theta that I received the Donna S McKee Service award. This award was for service to my fraternity, and community. 


What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
My SRU experience was amazing and the best four years of my life. I feel that my time with Alpha Omicron Pi truly helped shape that experience. I was well prepared to take on a professional job through a lot of the training I received through my sorority. For example, knowing how to dress professionally came naturally because of all the badge events I went to during college that required professional dress. Also I learned many leadership qualities through my sorority especially because I served as President for a year.
SRU's faculty also played a huge role in my success. First and foremost I could never say enough nice things about the SRU History Dept. The teachers are one of kind and genuinely prepared me for the historical content portion of my career. I have so many amazing memories with the faculty for instance, one year the History dept. took a trip to Ireland over spring break with Dr. Craig and Dr. Paradis. It was a life journey I will never forget! Also, through the Masters Program, I have to thank Dr. Mraz, who is no longer with us, he was my adviser and social studies mentor during my M.Ed Program. He helped me select courses and choose the best path so that I could complete a two year M.Ed program in one year. That is no easy task but he knew how important it was to me, to get into the field and start working and without his help I could have never accomplished it, RIP Dr. Mraz. Also, Dr. Hicks, Dr. Hilton, Dr. Christmann for all of their support and help through the Masters program. I would not be where I am today without their support and guidance. I thank you.


What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?

College is exactly this; what you put into it, you will receive from it. I put my whole heart into my experience. I stayed active on campus, joined different clubs and organizations and I also put a lot of effort into my studies. What did I receive? A well rounded experience, two college degrees in five years, and a job my first year out of school. If you want to find success you will, it may mean that you have to leave your comfort zone, but success is possible. Also, preparing is key, the more you prepare the less room you leave for poor performance. Do not walk into anything blind! Do your research, on the interview, on the job, on the school, on the principal, etc. whatever it may be! always give yourself the best advantage possible! Also lastly, believe in yourself, you CAN do this and you WILL! GOOD LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment