Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Kira Mallick



What year did you graduate from SRU and what was your major?
I graduated from Slippery Rock University in May of 2013. I have a dual major in Elementary Education K-6 and Special Education K-12.

What jobs have you landed?
I did long-term substitute positions the last two years and this year I’m happy to say that I landed my first teaching job! I am a 4th grade learning support teacher working in Chicago, Illinois.


How did you prepare for the interview for the job you landed?
Well, I made sure that I researched the school I was interviewing with. I looked over the Common Core State Standards, I made sure that I was knowledgeable of the IEP process and timeline, and I made sure that with every question answered, I stressed how much it was all about the students. The students and their needs are the most important part of teaching. In addition, talking about how you would differentiate instruction, what you would incorporate for classroom management, and how you plan on assessing your students are all important things to consider and review before going into an interview.

What have you done well at that job?
I believe that my classroom management is working effectively in my classroom. I've been good with pacing. I'm following my unit plans and am not behind. In addition, I make sure to keep everything organized and that includes grades, formative and summative assessments, IEPs, progress monitoring, and anything else that should be filed and organized.

What SRU experience or faculty influenced you and in what way?
I was involved in about seven clubs/organizations/fraternities that were all about education. Through these, I met some wonderful people and learned some really great things! In addition, the entire education department at SRU was more than helpful. They would willingly answer any questions that I had and they all really prepared me for teaching.

What else can you tell us about your success story that SRU students could learn from?
Always prepare for an interview! And additionally, go in excited and thrilled about teaching! They want to see someone who has dreamed of teaching their entire life and expresses just that through their personality at the interview! Teaching is all about engagement and in order to engage your students you need to be excited! They know what’s real and what’s fake. So don’t fake it, get excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment