Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Trisha Huston


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


I obtained my bachelor's degree in Elementary and Special Education certificates from SRU in 2007; followed by my master's in education from SRU, earning my Special Education Supervision certificate in 2013, and finishing my Doctor of Education degree in Special Education in 2021. I have held positions in K-12 Special Education classrooms including Life Skills Support, Autistic Support, Learning Support, and Instructional Support (IST.) I am currently the Director of Special Education in the Blackhawk School District. 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

Since obtaining all three degrees at Slippery Rock, I have had several experiences that have made an impact on my life. I've spent over ten years of my [educational career] within SRU in some way. I will never forget the friendships that were built in Rhoads Hall and through playing intramural sports with the Smurfs. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

There have been many faculty members that have shaped me into the educator I am today, including the entire Special Education Department professors for allowing me to gain a passion for special education through their teachings; Karen Perry in the ARC for giving me not only a college job, but lifelong friendships; and Dr. Rineer-Hershey for being my supportive dissertation chair and cheerleader throughout the process. 


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

Ever since I can remember, I have wanted to be a teacher. Early elementary was my initial thought. My high school guidance counselor suggested that I go into the dual-major of elementary and special education. After one class in the special education block my freshman year, I was instantly hooked. The field of special education is now my passion and life's work.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

The field of education is constantly evolving and continues to adjust to the needs of children. Most recently, learning more about the Science of Reading has piqued additional interests in helping all children learn to read. As research and data continue to be collected, our practices must change to meet the needs of all learners. 


6. What makes a great teacher?


A great teacher is passionate about their chosen field and is there for the children day in and day out. A great teacher is also able to maneuver the difficulties and stresses of the field with ease by remembering the reason they initially went into the field of education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment