Sunday, February 19, 2023

Gianna Brandy

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.


After graduation, I substituted at George Washington Elementary, in Bethel Park, for 2 years. The 2nd year, I also took on a role as a 3rd grade Virtual Teacher! Currently, I teach as a 3rd and 4th grade math teacher for Propel Schools, in Homestead, PA.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.


One experience that I will never forget is student teaching! I was placed in a Kindergarten and K-2 learning support class. The district was great and my cooperating teachers were supportive and definitely helped me morph into the teacher I am today. 


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


Slippery Rock had a ton of positive influences as education professors. One of the professors who helped was Dr. Beinek. He made his classes engaging and open for conversations. I still use strategies I learned in his classes to this day


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?


When I was in high school, I knew I wanted to pursue a career that involved working with children. I took a few classes and did preschool as well, which made me realize I wanted to teach. I wanted to be that person who could make a difference in a child’s life. I wanted to be able to have my students be successful in school, but also with skills out of school.


5. What do you love most about teaching?


I love creating relationships and bonding with my students. The classroom goes much smoother when you have that connection. Plus, the students are your mini “hypemans'' as well! 


6. What makes a great teacher?


A few skills that a great teacher needs to have is being able to communicate, listen, adapt, and be patient with their students. Communication is key as a teacher. A classroom can fail solely with a lack of communication. Next, teachers need to be able to listen as well. Students have a voice that needs to be heard too. Also, one thing I have also learned is classes do not always go as structured. Being able to adapt during a lesson if something does not go as planned or if students do not understand, is something to be aware of doing too. Lastly, having patience is one of the most important parts. Students will try to push your limits… but being able to control your emotions is one of the greatest strengths to have as a teacher. The students need you more than you would think! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment