Sunday, January 29, 2023

Victoria Murphy


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I am currently working at Conemaugh Valley Elementary School as the 3rd grade Science/Social Studies teacher! 


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I will never forget the sense of home I felt at SRU. The campus is beautiful, the town is small, the professors are great, and the friendships I made will last a lifetime!


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Robert Snyder - Dr. Synder radiates a passion for education. This passion shows through his teaching and meaningful assignments. Daily, I find myself referring to his lessons and activities to incorporate in my teaching to create a meaningful and engaging science lesson for my students.


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I have had an interest ever since entering school. It was the only response I ever gave during the “What do you want to be when you grow up?” Over the years many teachers have inspired me, but as I grew older and started helping my brothers with their homework is when I realized it was something I loved to do. I really enjoyed helping kids/people learn and grow.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

It’s hard to name just one thing when there are so many reasons to love teaching. I obviously love to see the growth and development my students make throughout the year, but I think I continue to love teaching because it is never boring! Every day is full of adventure in the classroom whether it’s a surprise fire drill or an exciting experiment/project that’s happening that day! And of course, continuing to build the “you can’t even make this stuff up” stories.


6. What makes a great teacher?

Passion. I believe passion is so important to have as a teacher. You have to have a passion for wanting students to learn and grow, as well as being passionate about what you teach. Passion has got me through even the hardest days as a teacher when feeling overwhelmed, or during a full moon week (if you know you know). Passion, I feel, is the driving force behind so many great teachers because it not only helps them be the best teacher they can be but it also radiates to the students.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment