Monday, November 21, 2022

Rachael Hughes

 
1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from Slippery Rock University in 2021 earning my bachelor’s degree in Elementary and Special Education. Currently, I teach first grade at Center Grange Primary School in the Central Valley School District.  I am teaching in my home district that helped shape who I am today!  Prior to teaching first grade, I taught K-2 Learning and Emotional Support in the Ambridge Area School District.


2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

I’ll never forget the dedicated professors I’ve had during my undergrad and the hands-on experience I gained during my time at SRU!


3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Jessica Hall-Wirth helped make my transition from community college to Slippery Rock as seamless as possible. She was a patient and supportive advisor who truly helped guide me in the perfect direction of my educator journey. I will never forget how dedicated she was, and still is, to her students!


4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I have always had such a strong desire to give back and help others, especially young children.  I truly felt the positive impact that teachers had on my own life, and I knew that I wanted to be part of that same impact.


5. What do you love most about teaching?

I love the joy and fulfillment that teaching brings me.  I love the excitement and energy that my first graders have about school. Watching my students learn and grow has been so wonderful for me, and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the school year brings to every one of my kiddos!


6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher understands that building a strong classroom foundation begins with creating relationships and valuing the uniqueness of each child.  Curriculum and learning are incredibly important for each child but connecting with their teacher and having a safe learning environment is most important!


No comments:

Post a Comment