Sunday, October 9, 2022

Cheyenne Meyers


1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? Please include the current school district and grade/s.

I graduated from Slippery Rock in May 2022 with a degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, and International Education. Right after graduation I started subbing for Pittsburgh Public Schools and got to work with children in grades k-12 In the special education department. I am Currently working at City Charter High school as a 10th grade Learning Support Teacher and I have loved every minute of it! 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

One experience I will never forget was when covid hit hard and the university had to switch to online. During this time, we were going into observations and it was the most confusing time as to how we were going to be able to work with students. The professors were amazing at setting up virtual experiences for us and we’re so supportive during this time, it made college during covid a lot less stressful. 
3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

Dr. Lynch was the best advisor, as well as the best professor that Slippery Rock has. I had a lot of bumps in the road during my college years and there was never a time he turned away from offering advice, or being the support I needed. I never would have imagined I’d have someone like him in my corner and he stuck through it! My goal from day one was to get through all the hard times and make it out on top, and the day of our last class and hearing from him “You did it!”, was the icing on top of the cake. Thanks Dr. Lynch for everything. 
4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I have always wanted to be an educator ever since I was a child. I was in a teaching magnet program in high school that pushed me to pursue education at Slippery Rock. I was convinced I would be a 2nd grade teacher until I fell in love with Special Education and decided to dual major. I remember my days in school and the teachers that were genuine and cared about my education just as much as I did. There is never a day I question my decision of becoming a teacher!  
5. What do you love most about teaching?

What I love most about teaching is seeing students who feel that they aren’t talented enough to do a task or smart enough to understand a concept excel at the subject and prove themselves wrong. I love being the person to create that relationship to push my students to the best of their ability, but also challenge them. Whether it’s teaching a kindergartner how to identify numbers 0-30, or a 10th grader how to identify different property rules in math, it’s a reward at the end of each day. 
6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is someone who understands their students and goes above and beyond. It’s someone who works with their staff and admin by bringing ideas that will benefit everyone as a whole. A great teacher is someone who will take the time and show their students they care. Being great doesn’t come over night, so being able to grow and improve while having the mindset of going into each school day differently is what makes a great teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment