Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Barbara Haybarger

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held? 

* Slippery Rock Undergrad - December 1997 - BS Ed. Health and Physical Education K-12 with a minor in Adapted physical activity and an emphasis in aquatics (which became the minor program shortly after I graduated)

* Masters in Curriculum and Development from Gannon University 2005

* Equivalent to a doctorate degree with post-grad credits earned through Loyola Marymount University and Greenville University

* PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer since 2001

* American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer

* American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor

* Strong Nation Instructor

 

Currently I am teaching Middle School (grades 6/7/8) Health/Physical Education and Aquatics in the Franklin Regional School District in Murrysville, PA.  I was hired here in Summer of 1998.  I've taught at the elementary level and at the high school level as well.  I've been in my current position for 23 years.

 

I was general manager and scuba instructor for Ocean Odyssey Dive Center in Cranberry Township from 1998 to 2002.

 

I was general manager and scuba instructor for Underwater Adventures Dive Center in Greensburg, PA from 2002-2005

 

Scuba Instructor for Underwater Excursions in Beaver Falls, PA  from 2006 to 2010.

 

Scuba Instructor for The Scuba Shop in Chippewa, PA from 2010 to 2015.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

My whole experience at SRU has had some impact upon my life. With the great education I received, I have landed the ideal job in a great school district. With some of my aquatics background that I gained at SRU, I have traveled to several countries and have done some amazing scuba diving (Lake Erie Wreck Diving, Underwater Cave Diving in Florida and Mexico, Wreck Diving in Aruba, Mesoamerican Reef in Belize and Honduras). I met my husband in the old university union (we've been together 27 years, married 18 years).  

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

I had the pleasure of being influenced by many great instructors while at SRU. The different styles of teaching and the different components of information that were shared with me all gave me a great experience while at SRU. The person/teacher that I am today is based upon all of the influence that was bestowed upon me. I was able to take components and information from everyone and develop my own style.

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I had a wonderful PE teacher in high school (Donna Hazlett - SRU '68) who helped me get through the rough years of high school. I remember talking to her and realizing how much she enjoyed her job and how much of an influence she had on students since she got to see most of the student body every year. She always encouraged me to do and be my best.  

 

5. What do you love most about teaching?

I enjoy introducing students to something new that they have never tried before and watching them learn the basics and ultimately figuring out that they are better at something than they thought. Also, I love the middle school age because this is a huge change for everyone as they try to figure out who they are and what they are capable of doing. There is such a huge change in a kid from the time I meet them in sixth grade until they leave the building in 8th grade. It is amazing to watch the transformation.  

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

Having the ability to: wear many hats all at the same time, to predict the future, to juggle multiple things going on at the same time, to be caring and compassionate, to be a communicator, to have empathy and patience, to be engaging while setting high expectations, to create a sense of community/belonging, and to be continuously engaging in their own learning to continue their own personal development.

No comments:

Post a Comment