Tuesday, September 21, 2021

Ashley Zawojski

1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

I graduated from Slippery Rock University with my Bachelor’s in Early Childhood Education in May 2021. I currently teach as a second grade teacher at Yeshiva Schools of Pittsburgh, a private school in the city.

 

2. Name one SRU experience, in general or specific to the field, that you will never forget and explain why.

One SRU experience I will never forget is my freshman move in day, and WOW weekend. I met some of my closest friends that weekend, ones I roomed with for the rest of my time at Slippery Rock. I also met many friends in my major who I had classes with up until student teaching and graduation!

 

3. Name an SRU faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

An SRU faculty member that had a positive impact on me was Dr. Monique Alexander. Dr. Alexander was one of the most caring, compassionate, and engaging professors I had at my time in the college of education. She continued to keep in touch with me after my semester in her class, putting good words in for me at schools I applied to. She inspired me to be an inclusive and diverse educator. I am forever grateful for what she has done as a professor!

 

4. What initially piqued your interest in pursuing a degree in education?

I’ve always enjoyed working with children, whether it was babysitting or hanging out with my younger cousins. My senior year of high school, though, I got a job as a teaching assistant at a local childcare center. The kindergarten teacher was a Slippery Rock alumni, and allowed me to assist her in her lessons and teaching. She let me teach while she planned, or fill in for her when she was out for the day. That experience made me realize how much I enjoyed seeing children learn, and watching their faces light up when they finally grasped the content!

 

5. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding aspect of my job is knowing I get to mold the young minds in my classroom. The children in my classroom are the future, and I get to help lead them into their future. I prepare them not only academically with subjects like reading and math, but also socially by using partner and group work, and having them learn what it means to be a responsible person with class jobs and routines. There is no better feeling than seeing my students grow and learn everyday! 

 

6. What makes a great teacher?

A great teacher is a person who is passionate about teaching each and every student in their classroom. Someone who promotes equality, diversity, and inclusion in their room. Building those close and understanding relationships with your students will set the tone for the rest of the school year. It builds trust and respect, which will make the quality of learning that much better for the students, and yourself as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment