Monday, November 11, 2019

Carly Killmeyer




1.  What is your educational background and what positions have you held?
I attended Slippery Rock University, where I received my Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood/Special Education. During my senior year at Slippery Rock, I became the co-president of Autism Speaks U-SRU. I also was working full time at a daycare in the neighborhood.  When I attended Slippery Rock I student taught at Slippery Rock Area Elementary School. The classes I student taught in were K-2 Learning Support with the amazing Jean Allison, as well as in Kindergarten with the wonderful Kathryn Denholm. Two days after graduating from SRU in 2018, I moved to a new state, and started my dream job as a teacher of students with Autism at Belmont Elementary School in Woodbridge, Virginia. I am currently into my second year of teaching, working with students who have mild-moderate autism ranging in grades Kindergarten-3rd Grade. 

2.  What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?
The most rewarding aspect of my job is seeing student growth, as well as making real life connections with the little learners I am interacting. It makes my heart so full when a student of mine achieves a short-term objective or can finally identify all of the letters in the alphabet. Seeing these children learn and grow is so powerful. Student relationships are NUMBER ONE in my book. The feeling you get when a student loves you and trusts you is so hard to explain. My students know that no matter what, I got their backs and when they step into my classroom they are important and valued.   

3.  What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?
To all of those students in the teacher preparation program, ENJOY EVERY MOMENT, BE PROACTIVE, and TAKE THE INITIATIVE!  Enjoy the carpools to student teaching with your friends. Enjoy eating lunch with your co-ops while picking their brains with all of your questions on the field experience or about the lesson you are teaching for the first time. Enjoy creating fun lessons for your students. Be proactive about interviews! Make the time to reach out to other schools even though you haven’t graduated yet! Be proactive with your goals. Set goals for yourself that you would like to achieve during this experience. Take initiative with your co-op! Make those copies, come up with new ideas, start the math lesson with out being instructed to do so! YOU GOT THIS!

SRU Students in general, enjoy being at the ROCK! Time flies while you are there and all of a sudden you are out here in the real world. Also, enjoy your weekends with all of your best friends around you, because soon enough you all will graduate and move on with your careers and other endeavors. 

4.  Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
Two words. MICHELLE MCCOLLIN! I could not even begin to imagine what my experience at SRU would have been like with out Dr. McCollin. When I met her my first semester of school we instantly connected due to her class being my favorite. I would visit her during office hours to expand my knowledge on what was discussed during the lecture, as well as vent about my issues at school. Her office became a safe space for me. I felt like no matter what was discussed in her office it was confidential and she really cared to make a difference in the life of all of her students. When I was expressing self-doubt or my confidence was lacking, Dr. McCollin was always there to give a pep talk, or keep it real with advice on what to do next. As I moved into my Jr. year at SRU I realized that Michelle McCollin was more like a friend or family member. She would take me out to lunch and discuss how I was doing, how classes were going, as well as introduce me to her amazing eyes for Africa organization. She instantly became a person I contacted with all my successes and failures! She sadly passed away during my senior year at Slippery Rock University. Something she said to me that I will always value is “ We as advocates have to be compassionate ALWAYS, judgmental NEVER. “

5.  What makes a great teacher?
What makes a great teacher.. That is such a fully loaded question. What makes someone a great teacher to me is someone who values students and their relationships, an advocate for all students regardless of background or ability, as well as someone who is dependable, flexible, and consistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment