Friday, June 14, 2019

Hannah Smith



1.     What is your educational background and what positions have you held?


In 2017, I graduated from SRU with my bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood and Special Education.  I also obtained additional certifications in mathematics and English Language Arts in order to serve students in grades 4-8 if the need arose.  Currently, I just finished my first year of full-time teaching as a 3rd grade general education teacher at South Side Elementary School in Beaver County, PA.  Prior to this position, I had two rewarding long-term substituting jobs during the 2017-2018 school year at another district in Beaver County.  There, I taught 6th grade English Language Arts, and I was a 2nd grade inclusion teacher.

2.     What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?


The most rewarding aspect of my job is knowing that every day my words and actions have the ability to make the difference in the life of a child.  I get the chance to inspire children to dream big and reach for the stars.  My words can foster love and confidence in the hearts of students.  I get to think outside of the box to plan lessons and activities that leave my students yearning to learn more.  This is such an invaluable gift as I feel it fosters life-long learning.  I leave my classroom every day feeling I made a difference.  That is the sole reason I went into this profession, and words cannot describe the fulfillment of that dream coming to fruition on a daily basis.

3.     What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?


Enjoy it!  Slippery Rock was easily one of the best decisions I have made in my adult life, but it sure does fly by.  Take advantage of all the university has to offer.  Get involved.  Join clubs.  Participate in class.  What you do at Slippery Rock now will impact opportunities you can gain in your future.

4.     Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.


Slippery Rock provided me with a multitude of positive experiences and memories.  One of my favorite clubs at SRU was the National Science Teacher Association (NSTA) led by Dr. Snyder.  This club bestowed me so many invaluable opportunities to actively engage children in science.  I went to many different districts to help with after school programs, science days, perform experiments, and so much more.  NSTA gave me the chance to get hands-on experience with kids of various ages and developmental levels and spark their curiosity about the subject.



5.     What makes a great teacher?


Being a great teacher is a multi-faceted honor that cannot be summed up with a single attribute.  Great teachers show their students that they are loved, important, and special.  They empower kids to believe in themselves and work past challenging problems.  They are passionate and prepared to handle the unexpected in the classroom.  They are willing to reinvent themselves for each class and every child.  Most importantly, they invest their hearts in providing a top-notch education for the students in their care.

No comments:

Post a Comment