Friday, November 16, 2018

Paige Wesley



1. What is your educational background and what positions have you held?

 I earned my bachelors degree from Slippery Rock in May and I was a dual major in Early Childhood education (pk-4) and special education (pk-8). After I graduated in May I was fortunate to accept a summer position at The Watson Institute’s WISCA (Watson Institute Social Center for Academic Achievement) program as an instructional aide for their Extended School Year. After ESY I accepted a full time position at WISCA for the 2018-2019 school year, also as an instructional aide.

Being an instructional aide, I assist the teacher, and help the students in the classroom. I was placed in an upper elementary classroom ranging from grades 5-7. Most of my students are diagnosed with high functioning Autism, but many of the students have multiple diagnoses including, ODD, ADHD, Anxiety and OCD to name a few.

Some of my responsibilities are to help the students with their online curriculum, developing appropriate social skills, and how to appropriately cope with stressful and uncomfortable situations. I am also responsible for aiding the teacher with tasks such as keeping attendance, recording data, and developing student agendas.

2. What is the most rewarding aspect of your job?

The most rewarding part of my job is gaining trust from students. Many students at WISCA have had negative experiences at their home school district or previous placements and I think it is important and rewarding when a student is able to trust you and are able to ask for your help when they need it. It is also rewarding when you see your students progressing and succeeding. Some days may be stressful and tough. It may feel like a revolving door, but when it clicks with the student it feels great.

3. What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students generally?

The main thing I would tell current SRU students is to become involved on campus with groups and organizations. During my 4 years at The Rock I was part of the Marching Band and Winter Guard. This made my transition from high school to college a lot more smooth than if I were not involved. It made me apart of a large “family” and I was able to keep busy but I also developed friendships and memories that will last forever. Do not be afraid to become involved!

For someone that is currently in the teacher preparation program, Don’t Stress!! All of the hard work is worth it. Each field/student teaching placement really is helping you prepare for your future as a teacher. During those placements I would absorb as much as possible, and do not be afraid of constructive criticism. Listen to your cooperating teachers when they give advice, and listen to your professors and supervisors when they talk about their experiences. For me it was really nerve-wracking and scary not knowing if I would get a job in my field after graduation, so I would advice to take anything that comes your way. Future employers are looking for experience and I would accept anything to gain more experience.

4. Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.

I think a lot of the professors that I had in the College of Ed were amazing. You could tell that they were there to help you succeed, and they really did care about your well being. The one faculty member that stands out the most during my time at SRU was Dr. Carmine DeCarlo. I was able to have her as a professor for one of my classes, and I was fortunate to have her as my supervisor during student teaching. I could tell that she was passionate about teaching and educating others and that was reflected during a class session. When she would come observe me during student teaching I was receptive of her comments, and she also made a point of complementing what you did right, but also giving great advice on something you could change. She made it reassuring every time that I was heading into the right career path.

Another faculty member that made a big impact on my experience was my color guard instructor Bruno Zuccala. He taught me hard work, and determination. He was able to be tough when it was needed, but he was also a very caring and passionate person. If you asked he would do anything to help you succeed. As a retired educator himself I was always interested in hearing his stories and experiences. I will always be thankful for the experiences I had because of him. 

5. What makes a great teacher?

What I think makes a great teacher is a combination many things. One thing is passion. You really need to be passionate about what you are doing and who you are teaching. The impact you have on a student can really determine the future of that student. You also need to have patience. Patience is important because days can be stressful. Some students may try to argue with you and challenge you, but if you are patient, in time you'll see their progress and that's what really matters. I also think having empathy and being empathetic towards your students makes a great teacher. You develop an important bond with your students and being able to put yourself in their shoes can really put yourself between a good teacher and a great teacher. One other quality is flexibility. Schedules may change or things might not go as planned, and being able to do something on a whim can really make or break how the rest of the school day is going to go. I truly believe a combination of all of these qualities can really make a great teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment