Monday, March 5, 2018

Lindsey Osborne

 

Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I graduated from Slippery Rock University in May of 2017 as a dual major in Early Childhood (PreK-4) and Special Education (PreK-8). In August of 2017, I accepted a full-time third grade teaching position at Bobtown Elementary School in Greene County, Pennsylvania. I have twenty students in my classroom, where I teach all subjects each day!

What is the most rewarding aspect of your job? What positive experiences have you had?
The absolute most rewarding aspect of my job is being reminded each day, that I have picked the profession that just continuously and graciously gives back. I have yet to wake up having that “I have to go to work” feeling, because each day has been more than rewarding to me. Every smile, word, number, laugh, and tear that we have shared together has not only allowed my students to grow, but has allowed me to grow with them.

One of the most positive experiences I have had with my students is definitely seeing how far they have come since the beginning of the year. I have been with my students every single day since August, and I feel that I really know their strengths and weaknesses. It is so special to me to see how far that they have come! I have loved seeing them grow academically, socially, and emotionally!

What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program, and to SRU students in general?
You absolutely picked the best, most rewarding profession out there. I feel that when I was in the program, I heard a lot of negativity from others, particularly people who were not even teachers. Please know, that only you know what makes your heart happy! If you wake up each day knowing you couldn’t imagine a life without impacting another person, again, you picked the right profession. Although it is my first year teaching, I know that my four years of college were SO worth it! I encourage all current SRU students to get involved in as much as you can. Take a chance on any opportunity that is thrown your way. SRU offers so many clubs, organizations, and other activities that allow you to get as much experience in all areas of your particular field of degree!

Name an SRU experience or faculty that had a positive influence on you and explain why.
The education department at SRU has the absolute most genuine faculty, which makes it close to impossible for me to choose one positive influence. All of my professors have influenced me in different ways, which I believe has helped mold me into both the person and teacher I am today. From the experienced stories that my professors would tell, to the advice they would want you to carry with you forever, it has all been such a positive influence on me.

What makes a great teacher?
A teacher is someone who teaches, a great teacher is someone, who I believe, teaches from his or her heart. A great teacher has passion, patience, and perseverance. A great teacher gives their students their very best every single day. They know their students from the inside out and are able to help their student grow in all areas of their lives. Allowing students to see the potential that they have, and their belonging in the world is just adding fuel to their spark. A great teacher ignites the fire that fuels a student’s thirst for knowledge, curiosity, and wisdom!

1 comment:

  1. So proud to have been on that journey with you at SRU Lindsey. Your students are so lucky to have you in their lives!

    ReplyDelete