Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Lauren McCracken



Where are you teaching? What subjects and grades?
I am a 2nd-4th grade Special Education teacher at New Story.  I teach students who qualify to be in Autistic Support classrooms and Emotional Support classrooms.  Most of my students have one or several of the following diagnoses: Autism, Oppositional Defiance Disorder, ADD, and/or ADHD. My students all come to my school from public school districts and are unable to participate in regular educational programs because of moderate to severe behavioral and social skill impairments.  I teach my students to learn coping skills.  When my students make significant academic and behavior progress, they return to the public school setting. This is my second school year teaching at New Story.


What advice would you give to current students who are enrolled in the teacher preparation program?
Be willing to try different types of placements during your field work. For example, you might think that you want to be a regular education kindergarten teacher, but after being placed in a middle
school special education classroom, you might find that you prefer it! When I was a freshman at SRU, I wanted to have a Early Childhood Education major only.  However, I decided to double major in Early Childhood/Special Education, and I am so glad that I did. If it were not for making this decision, I would not have discovered that I prefer the field of special education.  Ask your professors as many questions as you can. You will thank yourself when you get your first teaching job that you took classes seriously. Make the most of all experiences that you can get in the field (for example: teach after-school tutoring, help run a club, etc.)  These types of experiences will look great on your resume.
 
What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
I have had the opportunity to work with a few of my students for two school years. They have all made a great amount of growth.  It is very rewarding as their teacher to see the progress that they have made in the past year and a half.

 

What makes a great teacher?
A great teacher is always willing to adapt to the situation.  Several things could happen in the school day that you don't plan for.  A great teacher makes plans in advance and makes back up plans just in case.  A great teacher cares about his or her students and takes time out of the day to build relationships with them.  A great teacher is willing to work with others and learn new methods in the field of education.  Working as a team gives you the opportunity to share great ideas.  Learning new methods and completing professional development will help you grow as a teacher and help your students learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment