Thursday, October 27, 2016

Denise Carlini



What has been your experience as a professional teacher?
I taught special education for 17 years at Brockway Area JSHS.  My students were grades 7 - 12 and identified as learning disabled and [intellectually disabled]. I taught several subjects each year including math, English, history and science. I was also the gifted coordinated for grades 7 - 12 during my teaching experience.

What is one positive experience that you have had with a student?
I have had so many wonderful experiences with my students. Having them for 6 years, I got to really know them and help them to prepare for their adult lives. One of my greatest success stories is that of a learning disabled young man who wanted to become an elementary teacher.  Many other adults told him that would be virtually impossible, but we worked hard during his time in high school and when he got accepted to Clarion University in their teacher preparation program, we were ecstatic. I encouraged him to use all the resources and help available to him at Clarion and he did. He earned his degree and is teaching in the Virginia School System. He was named the elementary teacher of the year at his school and in the newspaper interview, he cited me as one of the greatest influences in his life. THAT is why we teach!

What advice would you give to current college students who are preparing to be teachers? 
Teaching has changed so dramatically over the years. I would advise students preparing to become teachers to remember how each and every thing they do can influence their students. The curriculum is critical, but the demeanor and attitude of the teacher can be much more influential to students. One cruel word can stay with a student for a lifetime. Teachers have to be flexible and willing to show students they have their best interests as the overall objective. The best teachers are those who are willing to take on additional roles in their schools and learn to interact with students outside of the classroom as coaches and advisers in extra-curricular activities...State assessments have [also] changed the learning environment tremendously. Teachers need to be prepared to vary their teaching methods so that each student is successful in the classroom. A one-dimensional teacher will not be successful in today's classroom.

What is one thing that you learned from Slippery Rock University’s teacher preparation program that you brought into your classroom? 
The special education program at Slippery Rock has always been outstanding. I brought a thorough knowledge regarding teaching techniques to use with a variety of student abilities to my classroom. I also brought behavioral management techniques that were taught "hands-on" in the lab school. 

Why did you choose teaching as your profession?
I chose teaching as a profession for a couple of reasons. First, I have an [intellectually disabled] cousin who I am very close to. He means the world to me and I wanted to be able to work with people like him. I also had a wonderful education at Brockway, loving each and every year of school. My teachers were caring and smart and encouraged us to become what we wanted. I was very lucky to spend my entire teaching and administrative career in my hometown!

What makes a great teacher? 
A great teacher is someone who is willing to work hard to keep current in their field. They recognize that the world is ever-changing and there is a need to keep up with what their students are experiencing in life. A great teacher is open to critique through observation and is open to making changes in teaching techniques and styles to better themselves as educators. A great teacher is caring and understands that not all students come from loving and economically secure homes. A willingness to understand that not every student is going to be having a great day every day is key to being a great teacher. Great teachers wake up each day and look forward to the challenges and excitement of their classroom. When it becomes a chore to go to work, a teacher needs to find another profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment