Thursday, July 7, 2016

Roberta Ayers Wykoff



My career path has been one of unexpected opportunity and reward. Beginning my education with a dual degree in elementary and special ed., I taught primary special education at a time when laws were changing and these children were having unprecedented opportunities to learn. A very exciting time indeed! 

After receiving a Master’s degree (also at SRU) Ihad the privilege of moving into more administrative roles, and for the next three plus decades I served respectively as Head of School and then Lower School Division Head at several exceptional private and independent schools in Ohio, Virginia, and Kentucky. While in Ohio I was able to take advantage of an opportunity to earn an Ed.S. in Curriculum and Instruction at Kent State, and while serving in Virginia worked toward an additional Ed.S. in Educational Leadership.at George Washington University. My Kentucky experience also afforded the additional opportunity to teach an online Language Arts class as part of the Adult Professional Studies program at Asbury University. Now that I am semi-retired, I am continuing my passion in elementary education by providing consulting support as opportunities arise. My career has been long and very fulfilling, built on the extraordinary learning and opportunities originating at SRU.

The most rewarding part of my career has been in curriculum development and consulting, as well as in mentoring young teachers. I loved fostering a teachable spirit as my faculty learned how to best serve the children with whom they were entrusted. A number of my former teachers remain in contact, bringing me great joy and satisfaction.

I am most comfortable as a “behind the scenes” person but over the years have appreciated the opportunity to present at conferences and seminars, and participated as part of a visiting team during the re-accreditation processes at various schools. Additionally, an article was published chronicling the learning experience of one of our elementary students born addicted to crack cocaine. While in Kentucky I additionally oversaw an afterschool reading tutoring program for at-risk students from several local elementary schools.

My undergraduate experience played a big role in landing that first teaching position, but perhaps the most significant experience came when Dr. Burtch chose me to be his Graduate Assistant as I completed my M.Ed. in Reading. At the conclusion of that incredible time of learning and exposure to the skilled faculty in the Elementary Education program I was asked to come back to SRU as an Instructor. What initially was to be one semester of maternity leave coverage evolved into seven incredible semesters teaching Methods and Materials of Language Arts, Creativity in the Classroom, and Diagnostic and Remedial Reading. This opportunity undoubtedly opened the door for the administrative positions in which I was yet to serve. I am incredibly grateful to Dr. Burtch and the faculty who taught, mentored, and believed in me during what turned out to be foundational as my administrative career evolved.

My advice for future graduates is to take advantage of all the resources available to at SRU and does not waste your time! Focus, make mature decisions concerning time management, and work hard. The Faculty is there to support you and they truly care about the teachers and leaders you are becoming. This time passes quickly so make the very most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment